Here they are: my America-trip inspired oreo cupcakes with cream cheese frosting! I have so far consumed a lot of the icing, several cakes and a good few oreos and am now well and truly converted to cream cheese frosting.
I was slightly worried that the cakes wouldn’t be chocolatey enough but any more chocolate may have overpowered the oreo flavour. My icing was also slightly too soft as I took inspiration from an American cream cheese frosting recipe and it seems that Philidelphia in the States has a different consistency than in the UK. I’ve modified the numbers in the recipe below to change this.
For the cake:
50g butter, softened
115g dark brown sugar
115g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
25g cocoa powder
For the cream cheese frosting:
200g cream cheese
500g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases. Twist the oreos until they separate. Place one half of an oreo in the bottom of each of the cupcake cases.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. (If the mixture starts to curdle, simply add a tablespoon of the flour and mix until combined).
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder into a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the mixture and mix until just smooth. Fold in the buttermilk.
4. Spoon into the cupcake cases and bake for approx. 20 minutes or until the cakes are well-risen and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Sift the icing sugar into the cheese mixture and mix until combined. Whisk on a high speed until light and fluffy.
6. Crush 6 oreos until they form crumbs and mix into the frosting.
7. Pipe onto the cakes and top with a mini oreo or quarter of a full-sized oreo.